CAN DRINKING FROM A BOWL... BE DEADLY FOR MY PET?
A staggering 1 in 3 cats develop kidney disease...
Did you know that stagnant water in a bowl can be harmful and potentially deadly your pet? As well as not drinking enough water...
A staggering 1 in 3 cats develop kidney disease, (dogs are also at risk). Most pet owners don't understand how this happens or how to prevent it.
So allow me to shed some light.
I was simply looking for a solution to the issue that ALL of my (5) cats were not drinking from their bowl. Look, they would drink from a bowl, but it was only occasionally and only seemed to be only the minimal amount to get them by.
I could clearly see they were simply not drinking enough and I found this concerning, after all water is a basic necessity of life. At that time I wasn't aware of the health issues such as kidney disease that they were at risk of developing. I just knew it wasn't ideal.
We all know the importance of water. If we, or any living creature doesn't get enough good quality water, the health implications can be significant.
I had already implemented everything I could think of to ensure they were getting the freshest water, the bowls were cleaned daily, even tried different types of bowls but the problem persisted. Nothing changed.
As a breeder of purebred cats, (but not only that, as a lover of cats, and they are part of my family), this was something I was going to find a solution for. And so I started to research.
Why providing water in a bowl can pose potential health risks to your pet
After researching the issue I found some interesting information:
- It is believed cat's primal instincts warn of potential harm of drinking still water. Instinctively they know the water being stagnant is not desirable to drink as it can quickly harbor and quickly breed germs. This is one reason they can be hesitant to drink still water in a bowl.
- By not drinking enough water pets can easily become dehydrated, and cats do not have a natural desire to drink so they are more at risk of dehydration which can lead to kidney disease as well as other health conditions.
- Tap water is also full of contaminants although you may find your pet will happily drink out of a tap when it is dripping or running, tap water in general contains many potentially harmful substances including fluoride which is toxic to animals.
- Actually one of the biggest but least known reasons is to do with their whiskers. If their whiskers are getting pushed and squashed (from the bowl), this causes them great discomfort, even pain. As a result they can develop whisker fatigue which can be distressing for cats. These cats can also become aggressive at meal times. Cats will refuse to drink and sometimes eat, they can meow at you and pace up and down in efforts to let you know about the issue.
- Cats are stimulated more by sounds than sight so the quiet of a still bowl does not attract them to drink.
- Cats do not like their water being close to their food. The food particles can go into the water bowl contaminating the water. The food can also make the water smell. Also ensure the litter box is a safe distance away from both water and food bowls. Kitty litter can easily enter food and water bowls posing serious health risks.
- The position of the bowl can also create discomfort for the animal when crouching down to drink or eat as it is not at an ideal position to support their spine and can also cause vomiting in cats due to the position.
Why water is important
Now firstly, water is essential for cats, and not milk. Milk is now considered old-school and if you are still offering your cat/s milk, it would be ideal to slowly transition them to water. They do not need milk, infact it is argued they are in fact intolerant to milk/lactose so yes water is best.
And honestly water is one of the few essentials cats really need. Apart from food, shelter and love, water is absolutely essential. Which is why cats are considered one of the easiest pets to care for.
Water, fresh and clean water needs to be available for them 24/7, this is essential.
Here are the reasons why:
- Regulates body temperature
- Maintains moisture in eyes, nose, mouth and lungs
- Maintains skin elasticity
- Lubricates joints
- Cushions the nervous system and organs
- Excretion and elimination of waste products
- Overall nourishment and digestion
Reasons why Tap water is unhealthy for pets
- Minerals: Such as iron which is a corrosive and can be damaging to pets digestive organs
- Lead: Consumption in large amounts can cause acute stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea in some pets.
- Fluoride: Is toxic and dangerous in high levels. Putting unnecessarily strain on the kidneys to eliminate it from the body. Plus, it can cause cancer in pets – as well as humans.
Arsenic: Although high amounts of arsenic are rarely found in tap water, ingestion can lead to abdominal pains, sluggishness, or even unconsciousness. No amount of arsenic is ideal.
- Giardia: A parasite transmitted by discharges of fecal waste into water, food, soil, and other surfaces. Giardia can cause diarrhea in animals as well as humans.
- E. coli: Some strains of E. coli bacteria are harmless. But when infected with a dangerous strain, your pet may show symptoms like low body temperature, depression, increased heart rate, diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness.
- Water Hardness: Water containing high amounts of dissolved magnesium and calcium could cause pets to experience urinary health issues, such as incontinence, tract infections, cystitis, and crystalluria (an overproduction of crystals in urine).
How to ensure your pet is getting the best quality water offered in the best way
Offering your pet a water drinking fountain is the ideal way to ensure your pet is receiving fresh, healthy water.
There are several reasons why having the pet drinking fountain available for your cat, dog or other pet can be an excellent idea.
Cats, (as well as dogs) can stop drinking from standard water bowls for a number of reasons as detailed above, offering the running water of our water fountain, naturally attracts them to drink from the water
Cats prefer running water, running water from a pet fountain is oxygenated, preventing harmful germs to harbor and breed as they do in still water
Did you know that cats have a low thirst drive? In the wild, most of a cat's water intake would come from their food, which is high-moisture-containing meat, so they do not naturally have high thirst. However they don't receive this moisture from their pet food which may cause or exacerbate a myriad of feline health problems for indoor, domesticated cats, including urinary tract and kidney diseases. The fountain encourages them to drink more
Cats are more auditory, therefore the sight and smell of water does not peak their instincts as much as sounds does, therefore the sound of running water encourages them to drink more
With the encouragement to drink more provided by the drinking fountain, pets hydration requirements are more likely to be met, potentially reducing the risk of numerous health issues
Water fountain being at the right height supports the pets posture, making it comfortable to drink
Water fountain does not obstruct the cats whiskers making drinking comfortable and reducing the risk of whisker fatigue
Available here: https://pettish.co/fountain
The benefits of the Fountain of health
After looking at several models and seeing their pros and cons,
We recommend the Fountain Of Health for the following reasons:
Clean Healthy, Water- The unique replaceable design filter can effectively filtrate the hair, odor, and chlorine. Consequently, the fountain gives cleaner water to pets which reduces the risk of developing illnesses. Charcoal filter helps remove and absorb odors and bad taste.
Pump Design The unique designed blue pump DR-DC160 is deployed with a customized suction cup to keep noise to a minimum. The high-quality impeller guarantees durability and longevity for this product.
Quality Materials The Pet Drinking Fountain is made of finely polished antibacterial PP plastic. The stainless steel option is SUS304 Food Grade Stainless Steel. Eco-friendly, non-toxic, odorless, and durable
Large Capacity - 5-7 days (cats & small dogs) With an 81 ounce/2.4 liter capacity there's no need to replenish the water frequently. This drinking fountain can meet the drinking needs of cats, dogs, birds, as well as other pets of various sizes.
No need to worry about your pets not getting enough fresh drink when you go to work or are away from home for the day.
Visual Indicators Equipped with LED, to display the water level, you can keep tabs on when to replace the water as required. When working, the LED is blue. The product does not work until the water level exceeds the pump.
Easy Clean A simple quick-release structure is designed for easy removal and cleaning.
Free Shipping there are no nasty surprises with delivery fees, free shipping is offered for your order
Conclusion In all of the above cases, Fountain of Health, drinking fountain can encourage your cat to drink more. The water looks more like a natural source in the wild would and often tastes better. The flowing water keeps the water from building up harmful substances, keeping it oxygenated. And the water is filtered which removes many harmful substances, making it clean and healthy for your pet
The Fountain Of Health is the perfect solution for clean, healthy drinking water your pet will love. And you will have peace of mind knowing your offering the best for your pet in ample supply.
If you would like to purchase the Fountain of health for your pet you can find it here: https://pettish.co/fountain
Click the button to buy yours:
About The Author
Being a fur-parent of multiple cats, as well as an experienced breeder of Ragdoll cats, I am always looking for the best products to offer my cats to support their well-being, health and longevity as well as their overall happiness.
And if it makes my busy-life easier, that's a bonus!
I can then, confidently recommend the product to my customers and assist them to offer the same to their furbabies.
Check out: https://pettish.co/fountain